1.7.13

The Final Days

Today is July 1, and that means I have fifteen days left in Switzerland. It's quite hard to wrap my brain around. How did I get here so fast? How has it been nearly a year already? When I think back to what I was doing a year ago from today, I was working full-time at Stanley Steemer with also two weeks until I was done. I was mentally preparing to leave Grand Rapids and to say goodbye to my GR friends and the city I'd grown to love over the past five years. And now, I'm back to that state of mind. Back to the preparations of saying goodbye. Trying to squeeze in every last goodbye and fun thing possible before leaving. It's bittersweet; so very, very bittersweet.

I daydream often about the mini-summer I'll have, where I can see friends and family again before heading off to begin my new South Carolina Adventures. I mentally plan my classroom layout and rules, and how I want to start the first day of the year. But I also dread fifteen days from now. I don't want to leave and I'm not ready for it to end. I remember being extremely sad about leaving Grand Rapids, and had never really related to the whole my-life-is-a-book idea until that moment. My Grand Rapids chapter was coming to an end...and now, somehow, my Switzerland chapter is coming to an end. Maybe it's cliché to think of it that way, but it really does fit.

Anyway, it's strange to know that I was in the exact same emotional situation a year ago from now. At least I know I can survive it ;-)

So, how have I been filling my time? I spent a Sunday in Bern with Dorina and our own personal Tour Guide, Alexandra (with whom we shared a bungalow in Italy). I visited the largest annual street fest in Europe, Albanifest, which is to celebrate St. Alban. Dorina and I went to Romanshorn with Nina, one of the other interns here, to stay at her lake house, relax, and enjoy the view of Lake Constance.

And what's in store for the next two weeks? This coming Saturday is SalZH Fest, where everyone from the school comes together and celebrates all things SalZH. I don't know many details about it, but I'll update once it's over with. We're hoping to go to the Zürich City Fest next weekend, which only happens once every three or four years. And I have lots and lots of goodbyes to come.

It's going to be hard to say goodbye, but it's not over yet. Although I know my time is extremely limited now, I'm still going to enjoy my time here while I can. And I know I have a lot to look forward to in the next couple of months!

No comments:

Post a Comment