14.7.13

Thank goodness for Waterproof Mascara.

As of right now I have one real day left in Switzerland, but two days until I leave. The past few days have been filled with goodbyes. It's been really hard, but with the help of waterproof mascara and lots of prayers (from near and far) and hugs, I've been able to manage. I've been doing fun things, like seeing fireworks in Zürich for part of Zürich fest and enjoying last dinners or coffees with friends. I've gotten really sweet and thoughtful presents, as well as blushed a lot from incredibly nice compliments from those I worked with. It all makes me reflect a lot on this year--what I brought to the SalZH school and what I've taken from this experience.

In Matthew 5: 14-16, Jesus talks about being a blessing to others.
"You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."
It's hard to think of oneself as a blessing to others. Or at least, it's hard for me to think of myself that way. It feels like I'm bragging that I'm just so fantastic and everyone is lucky to know me/work with me, which is not what I want to say at all. And I'm pretty sure that's not what Jesus meant either. I think it means that we all have different talents and abilities, which God has blessed us with. And if we don't do something with those talents and abilities, we're not sharing the blessings of God. Many people this year have told me that I am gifted in languages. At first, I struggled with this compliment, because I can only speak two languages (which, in America may be impressive, but anywhere else is not so impressive). But, I think my language ability and understanding combined with my love of teaching/sharing with others has made it my blessing for the SalZH school.

I also feel extremely blessed to have been here for a year. I don't remember ever dreaming as a child of going abroad and exploring the world, but I remember always thinking world travelers had pretty cool lives. I am blessed to have gotten to know the fantastic people I have met here and to have learned more about different ways of life or traditions. And I feel like these measly words don't even come close to expressing my gratitude for this year. I am so thankful I've had this opportunity to be here, and although I'm sad to be going home, I'm excited to share everything I've learned here with my future students in South Carolina. I hope I can use this experience to be a blessing to my SC students.

I think this is my final post from Switzerland, as I don't have much time left and I plan to spend as much time OFF the computer and WITH Dorina tomorrow ;-) But I am planning on posting a reflection post once I'm home...so stay tuned :-)

See you on the other side of the Atlantic.

No comments:

Post a Comment