28.8.12

Bugs don't have ears

Prepare yourself for a very silly and somewhat stupid post. Maybe you'll find my discovery as interesting as I did ;-)

The windows here are quite different than at home. At home, we have a screen and the window typically just slides up and down. Here, there are no screens, and depending on how you move the handle, the window can be tilted open or opened like a door.
I think they're called Tilt-and-turn windows. At least, that's what popped up when I googled them :-)
In the picture above, you can see how the handle is turned. If it is turned sideways, you can open it like a door. If the handle is turned upside-down, it tilts open from the top. And, if the handle is turned downwards, the window is closed and locked. I really like them, I think because they feel more open and spacious. My window in my room is actually a door/window. If I have the handle turned sideways, it opens like a door and I can actually walk outside (See a picture of it here).

Another interesting thing is that the blinds are outside the window. They are metal (or something like that...I'm not an expert!) and there is a rod inside that I can turn to open/close the blinds and crank to raise them. Pretty cool!

The only downside, is that bugs can freely come into my room as they please. And, when it gets dark, the bugs all love to come into my room (or Dorina's room) when I/we have the lights on. We get everything--moths, spiders, flies, mosquitoes, and other unidentifiable bugs. Sometimes we squash them with a shoe or trap them with a glass and paper and set them free outside. Or sometimes we get the vacuum and just attack them.

The first time Dorina and I got the vacuum to kill a giant moth, I asked her "won't the moth fly away as soon as we turn the vacuum on?" She laughed and said "They don't have ears!" I actually stopped to think about this. I'd never thought about it before. Apparently they don't. Or they're really not surprised by the sudden, loud noise of the vacuum cleaner. So now, whenever we have a bug or three in our rooms, we get the vacuum. You could say we're professional bug-killers now.

1 comment: