2.11.12

Watching the Election from a distance

Being in Switzerland during this time means I’m missing the election at home. While part of me is kind of sad that I don’t get to vote in person at the polls (I have yet to do that for a Presidential election, although this is only my 2nd Presidential Election where I can vote), but mostly I’m really okay with being on the outside of it. I don’t miss the TV adverts or the constant debates among friends, coworkers, and even random strangers. I don’t miss the bumper stickers or yard signs either. I’ve already voted, but despite that, I’ve watched all three presidential debates on YouTube after they took place. (I tried to watch the vice-presidential debate, but it didn’t catch my interest as fast, so I abandoned it and haven’t yet tried re-watching it.) 
 
I’m glad I’ve already voted, because watching the debates, quite honestly, can make it more difficult to choose. Voting for a president is not easy, because you will never agree 100% with whom you decide to vote for. You just have to find the one whom you agree with more. Some people choose to always vote Democrat, and some people choose to always vote Republican. I guess by voting history and most of the hot-button issues, I would be a Democrat, although I am nowhere near signing up to be a Registered Democrat. Yes, I voted for Obama in 2008, and yes, I’ve voted for him again. I’m happy with my vote, and I researched before voting and sending in my ballot. I agree more with Obama, although I am unsure about some things he says. When listening to Romney speak at the debate, there are some things I find myself agreeing with or wondering if he would actually do well, but I still would rather see Obama remain President. And no, I’m not interested in arguing about who might be better, and I won’t judge you if you vote(d) for Romney. To each his own. Plus, those of you that really know me know that I am a very non-argumentative person. Almost everybody here that I’ve talked with about the election has said that if they could, they would also vote for Obama. I must say, it’s pretty nice to not have to argue about my voting preference here. Most everyone has just happily smiled when I said I voted for Obama twice.

I’ve also been teaching about the election in a few of the English classes I help out in. In one class, I showed a video of the national anthem and made them stand, facing the flag with their hand over their heart. I showed a video of Whitney Houston singing the national anthem with full gusto and heart. I showed a video of the Presidential motorcade driving through New York. I showed a video of an Obama TV advert and a Romney TV advert. (These videos all took place over three different lessons.) The students thought it was weird, strange, funny, and interesting. And it is! We are one of the most (if not the most) patriotic countries in the world. Some might say we go a bit overboard. Our election process is unique—simple sounding, yet quite complicated. The arguing/debating, fame, and the quest for a down-to-earth appearance as President are odd. What I’ve grown up with as normal, is quite far from normal over here.

I’m bummed I don’t get to watch the Election results live on TV like I did in my dorm room in 2008 (it’ll be the middle of the night for me), but I am excited and anxious to wake up on Wednesday morning to the results of Tuesday night.

Good luck, America!

No comments:

Post a Comment