8.10.12

Herbstferien

Here in Switzerland (or at least in the Canton of Zürich, since I know the school system differs by Canton and I don't know how much it differs), they have year-round schooling. This does not mean we go to school on Saturdays (I know there are some schools that have that, but it's not the norm). It does not mean the school year is longer than in the US. It's still about the same, it's just that the breaks are more spread out. About every two months, there is a two week break. The only exception is between the end of the school year, which is in the middle of July, to the start of the new school year, which is in the middle of August. So, the summer break is about a month long.

Since school started in August, it is now the Fall Break (Herbstferien). We have two weeks off, although I'll be doing things around the school in the second week. My host family has gone to Ibiza, Spain for most of the first week, and Dorina has gone back to Germany for the first week. This means I get the house to myself for a couple of days--and those of you that know me, know that I love this :-)

On Friday, I was discussing with a few students what they were planning on doing during the break. One asked me if I was going back home for my break. I said no, and laughed a little, as this sounds ridiculous in my mind. He asked why, and I told him that it costs too much money. He then asked if I would be going back home for Christmas, to which I again replied no. He looked at me incredulously and said "You still wouldn't have enough money?!" This I found funny, because I don't have enough money to come home--I still consider myself a "poor college kid," but also because I don't want to. Don't get me wrong, I know I'll be sad and missing my family the most during the holidays, but my point in being here is to be here for one year! I was also recently asked if I would go on the USA-exchange trip that the 9th class does every year. This would have been from the end of April to the end of May. Some people may jump at the chance to go back home for a whole month, but my heart was not so excited. It didn't work out anyway with university classes, but I also just felt silly thinking about going home for a month before my Year in Switzerland was over. My intention with this adventure is to be here for one year, and okay, so it's only 11 and a half months at the most, but that's close enough in my book, and I'm glad I get to stay for the full time. My visa stuff is all worked out and I'm allowed to stay for a year--and that's just what I'm going to do :-)

4 comments:

  1. You should make it TWO years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you and how far you have come. I remember the confused little girl who had a hard time moving from one city to another with her family. Now look at you. One could not be prouder. :) Praise God for the little things and the woman you have become.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the feeling about wanting to stay over there for your time and not wanting to take a break in between. I felt the same way at times when I was over there. It is not just the culture that you dive into but the differences from the U.S. that you find interesting and want to learn or try out. Glad things are going well for you and love to see the new things you are learning. Enjoy your time over there and remember that you will always have the memories last a life time.

    ReplyDelete